2018 National Science Week school grants
***APPLICATIONS FOR 2018 SCHOOL GRANTS ARE NOW CLOSED***
All applicants, both successful and unsuccessful will be notified by email. All applicants can access the list of successful applicants on the ASTA website and the Science Week website on 25 May 2018.
Need some extra funding to do a ‘wow’ National Science Week activity this year?
APPLY FOR A SCHOOL GRANT!!! Even more funding is available for grants in 2018.
- Apply for up to $500.
- Available to ALL Australian schools (preschool to senior secondary).
- Conduct any science activity or event during National Science Week.
- Involve your class to your whole school and even your neighboring school/s and wider community.
- Focus on the impact science, engineering, technology and mathematics has on our lives, our economy, our society and our world.
- The application process is all online.
- Applications are open from 26 February 2017 - 23 April 2018. That's 8 weeks!
The Australian Science Teachers Association (ASTA), with funding assistance from the Australian Government, provides grants for school-initiated National Science Week activities.
These grants are intended to be a contribution to the running of a National Science Week activity or event in a school not the sole means of support.
What type of activities could be funded? (Looking for ideas?)
Examples of previously funded National Science Week school activities can be found here. Additional information on running a National Science Week activity in your school can be found on the Science Week website.
How do I apply for a grant? (It is really easy)
You will need to complete a brief online application form. Please read the the information below prior to completing your application at the link in the 'APPLY here' section below.
Remember applications close Monday 23 April 2018.
Each application will be assessed on the following criteria, which are of equal importance:
- The grant should enable your school to conduct science, engineering and/or mathematics activities/events beyond its usual science program.
- The activity/event should bring to the attention of students (and teachers and the community) the relevance of science to everyday life and/or to industry.
- The activity/event should support the ongoing and increased participation in, and engagement with, science programs within your school.
- The activity/event should be manageable with the funds granted and the contribution from your school and community. An indication of the funding/resources/personnel that your school is willing to contribute will help the selection panel determine the extent to which this criterion can be met.
Please note: Funding offered to an applicant may not be the same as the amount requested. Due to the limited availability of funding, the costs of transport, food, routine science incursions and excursions (such as to museums/science centres) are unlikely to be funded.
Selection process and notification
After the closing date, eligible applications will be grouped according to state and territory and forwarded to a grant selection committee from each Science Teachers Association. Each application will be assessed on its merits relative to other applications.
All applicants, both successful and unsuccessful will be notified by email. All applicants can access the list of successful applicants on the ASTA website www.asta.edu.au and the Science Week website on 25 May 2018.
Obligations of successful applicants (the must-do list)
- Send an invoice: Upon notification of your successful application send a school invoice ASAP to ASTA stating the grant amount you have been awarded plus GST component. Funding will be made as one advance payment on receipt of this invoice.
- Register your activity/event on the National Science Week website: Register your grant funded activity on the Science Week website NO LATER than Friday 13 July 2018.
- Run your National Science Week activity: You MUST complete the science activity/event DURING National Science Week 11-19 August, and as stated in your application.
- Fill in the online feedback form: Provide feedback on your funded activity/event by completing and submitting a brief online evaluation form (details of link will be provided before Science Week). All feedback must be received by Monday 17 September 2018.
- Send an image: Provide at least one digital image that shows your National Science Week event. It does not have to include students but if it does you will need to ensure you have permission to share.
NB. On the application form you will need to tick a box that then indicates that you agree to abide by the obligations of receiving and administering the grant.
Applications are now closed
***You might like to know what questions are on the application form before you go online. For a pdf of the application form please see below (you will need a PDF viewer, such as Adobe Reader, to view the file). NOTE: The pdf is for reference only. All applications must be made online.
For more information please contact your state or territory coordinator
ACT Vicki Stavropoulos SEA*ACT [email protected]
NT Paul Lyons STANT [email protected]
NSW Josephine Cali STANSW [email protected]
QLD Mary Rafter STAQ [email protected]
SA Priscilla Martinus SASTA [email protected]
TAS Denise Devitt STAT [email protected]
VIC Ann Pisarevsky STAV [email protected]
WA Lauren Clarke STAWA [email protected]
Or ASTA National Coordinator
Delese Brewster [email protected] (02) 6282 9377