Laboratory Technicians Forum
A National Forum on the Role and Support Structures for School Laboratory Technicians in Australian Secondary Schools, funded by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) was held at the Mercure Hotel Sydney on Thursday 8 July 2010.
The forum was a collaboration between SETA (Science Education Technicians Australia) ASTA, and DEEWR.
The purposes of this forum were to:
- increase awareness within education sectors of issues and challenges facing the training and support of school science and technology technicians;
- establish a commitment to developing guidelines for minimum standards of training and induction of school technicians and for servicing levels; and
- come to an agreement to pursue the establishment of a national online advisory service for school science and technology.
A range of national stakeholders and jurisdictional representatives were present at the forum, which could be attended by invitation only. The participants were:
- Back Row (L to R): Ms Sylvia Towers (SETA, ACT) Ms Jan Brooks (DECS, SA) Mr Sam Vonarx (Centre for Biotech, TAFE Vic), Mr Scott Lambert (DEEWR), Mr Jim Davies (Aus Sec Prin Assoc), Mr John Shanahan (DET, NT), Mr Gary Carey (Cath Ed Office, NSW), Ms Katherine Parker ((DEECD, Vic), Mr David Wintle (DET, ACT), Ms Louise Nielson (DET, WA)
- Centre Row (L to R): Mr Dale Carroll (SETA, Vic), Ms Desi Karlovassitis (SETA, SA), Ms Hazel Law (PWAC, SA), Mr Glen Sawle (DET, NSW), Mr Geoff Gleadall (SETA, Vic), Ms Margaret Croucher (SETA, NSW), Ms Jenene Rosser (Ind Sc Council Aus), Ms Toni Fox (DET, Qld), Ms Ruth Kempton (DET(OHS), WA)
- Front Row (L to R): Ms Jan McGaw (SETA, Qld), Ms Teresa Gigengack (SETA, WA), Ms Anna Davis ((ASTA), Prof Mark Hackling (ECU), Mr Peter Turnbull (ASTA), Mr Peter Russo (ASTA), Ms Marilyn Miles (SETA, WA), Ms Jennifer Westren (SETA, Tas)
- Absent: Mr Geoff Quinton (ACARA)
You can download a copy of the proceedings, and the final report, below.
- File Size: 491 KB
- File Type: DOC
- Download Lab_Tech_Forum_Proceedings.doc