ASTA Japan Science Teachers Exchange
Unfortunately due to extenuating circumstances, in 2019 ASTA will not be taking a delegation of science teachers to JAPAN.
We hope that this program will be up and running again in 2020 where a small delegation will have a one week opportunity to visit Japan in September/October school holidays.
Our new partnership with G.E.T Educational Tours has allowed ASTA to review and redevelop the itinerary with some additional exciting experiences, never before offered.
What is the ASTA Japan Science Teachers Exchange?
The ASTA Japan Science Teachers Exchange provides an opportunity for secondary and primary Science teachers from Australia to travel to Japan and absorb the rich culture, improve their intercultural understanding and forge new professional connections with international organisations and individuals.
The ASTA- Japan Science Teachers Exchange is supported by our new partners, G.E.T Educational Tours and Sony Education Foundation.
Teachers will be given the opportunity to observe Japanese primary and secondary science classes and lead classes of their own (with an interpreter) as a guest teacher. Delegates will also take part in forums with Japanese teachers to exchange ideas and practices and discuss the differences and similarities between Japanese and Australian science education.
The tour also includes personalised visits to amazing Japanese cultural and scientific icons such as:
- The National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation – MIRAIKAN
- The Sensoji Temple
- Visit to Tsukuba Science City
- Sony Corporation's exclusive showroom (not open to the public).
- International airfares, taxes and levies
- 4 nights accommodation including breakfast in Tokyo at the Shiba Park Hotel
- 2 nights Fukushima accommodation
- Suica Card with value of 2,500¥
- Private coach for Tokyo - Tsukuba - Tokyo
- 7 day rail pass (ordinary)
Applications for the 2020 ASTA Japan Science Teachers Exchange will open in April/May. Look to the ASTA facebook page for updates on this.
ASTA is pleased to announce its new partnership with G.E.T Educational Tours
For more than 58 years G.E.T Educational Tours has been providing ‘Living Lessons’ to students and teachers across Australia and around the world. Proudly Australian owned and operated, G.E.T Educational Tours offers educational tour programs across all areas of Australian curriculum with a particular specialty in STEM itineraries – a perfect fit for ASTA and the eight state and territory Science Teacher Associations (STAs).
Offering curriculum relevant STEM learning experiences throughout Australia, Asia, Europe and America, teachers can select from their current range of programs or design a bespoke itinerary with the help of their dedicated Account Manager. Their guidance and support through the planning, quote and booking process is a key benefit of our preferred partnership between G.E.T Educational Tours and ASTA members.
Additional benefits to ASTA members include:
- Complimentary educational tours manual - please contact G.E.T Educational Tours to receive your copy
- Opportunity to participate in the annual Japan STEM teacher exchange program held in October each year. This program is sponsored by G.E.T Educational Tours, Sony Education Foundation and Sony Science Teachers Association Japan
- Opportunity for ASTA members to join G.ET Educational Tours sponsored Teacher Professional Development programs to key STEM destinations throughout the year (by application)
- Commitment and support from G.E.T Educational Tours for ASTA’s annual state-based and national conferences
- Regular email updates highlighting STEM tour opportunities for your students.
“I could not rate G.E.T any higher. They were fantastic and supportive every step of the journey and put together exactly the itinerary we wanted. I would strongly recommend them to anyone looking to plan a school tour.” Prendiville Catholic College