2019 National Science Week school grants
Applications are closed for 2019.
Want to apply for a school grant in 2019? Here's how!
- Apply for a small grant up to $500.
- Available to ALL Australian schools (preschools to senior secondary).
- Conduct a STEM-related activity or event during National Science Week between 10-18 August, 2019.
- Focus on the impact STEM has on our lives, our economy, our society and our world.
- Involve your class to your whole school and even your neighbouring school/s and wider community.
- The application process is online.
- Applications are open from 25 February – 5 April 2019 (6 weeks).
The grants are designed to support teachers and schools deliver engaging STEM events and activities that align with the National Science Week vision. They are intended to be a contribution to the running of a National Science Week activity or event in a school not the sole means of support.
The Australian Science Teachers Association (ASTA), with funding assistance from the Australian Government, provides grants for school-initiated National Science Week activities.
- Applications open Monday, 25 February 2019
- Applications close Friday, 5 April 2019
- Applicants notified week beginning Monday, 6 May 2019 (go here for a list of successful grant recipients)
How do I apply?
You will need to complete a brief online application form AFTER reading the following important information.
Please click here to see some tips and hints on how to provide the best application.
To be competitive you must score highly against the following four criteria. They are ranked in order of importance (1 most important, 4 least important). Each application will be assessed and ranked on its merits relative to other applications.
- Likely impact of proposed activity on student learning outcomes in STEM
- Contribution to the ongoing and increased student participation and engagement in school STEM programs
- Practicality and scope of proposed activity
- Potential for parent and/or community and/or neighbouring school/s involvement
On the application form you will be asked to address Criteria 1 and 2 specifically, whilst the last two criteria will form part of other questions.
1) Due to the limited availability of funding, the following will not be considered:
- costs of transport
- routine science incursions and excursions (such as to museums/science centres).
- activities planned outside of National Science Week 10-18 August.
2) Funding offered might not be the same as amount requested.
Assessment process and notification
ASTA collects all online applications. After the closing date, eligible applications will be distributed amongst the school grant selection committees from each state and territory Science Teachers Association. The chair of each of the committees will notify ASTA of the outcome of the selection process and ASTA will notify all applicants by email of the outcome of their applications during the week beginning Monday 29 April 2019. All applicants will be able to access the list of successful applicants on the ASTA website www.asta.edu.au and the Science Week website after this date.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we will be unable to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications in 2019.
Obligations of successful applicants
- Send an invoice: Upon notification of your successful application send a school invoice ASAP to ASTA stating the grant amount you have been awarded plus GST component. Funding will be made as one advance payment on receipt of this invoice.
- Register your activity/event on the National Science Week website: Register your grant funded activity on the Science Week website NO LATER than Monday 15 July 2019.
- Run your National Science Week activity: You MUST complete the science activity/event DURING National Science Week 10-18 August, and as stated in your application.
- Fill in the online feedback form: Provide feedback on your funded activity/event by completing and submitting a brief online evaluation form (details of link will be provided before Science Week). All feedback must be received by Monday 16 September 2019.
- Send an image: Provide at least one digital image that shows your National Science Week event. It does not have to include students but if it does you will need to ensure you have permission to share.
NB. On the application form you will need to tick a box that then indicates that you agree to abide by the obligations of receiving and administering the grant.
***You might like to know what questions are on the application form before you go online. For a pdf of the application form please see below (you will need a PDF viewer, such as Adobe Reader, to view the file). NOTE: The pdf is for reference only. All applications must be made online.
For more information please contact your state or territory coordinator
ACT Vicki Stavropoulos SEA*ACT [email protected]
NT TBC STANT [email protected]
NSW Josephine Cali STANSW [email protected]
QLD Mary Rafter STAQ [email protected]
SA Priscilla Martinus SASTA [email protected]
TAS Denise Devitt STAT [email protected]
VIC Ann Pisarevsky STAV [email protected]
WA Lauren Clarke STAWA [email protected]
Or ASTA National Coordinator
Delese Brewster [email protected] (02) 6282 9377